Improving the biointegration of cranio-spinal implants by bioactive multilayers coatings (BIOSTIMP)
Project Director: Dr. George STAN
Project ID: PN II 71-110/2007
Project Responsible P1: Dr. George Stan
Project Type: National
Project Program: PCCA
Funded by: Romanian Ministry of Education and Research
Contractor: Grigore T. Popa University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Iasi
Sub-Contractor: National Institute of Materials Physics (P1)
Project Status: Finished
Start Date: 1 October, 2007
End Date: 1 December, 2010
Functionalized surfaces implants represent the most advanced trend in implantology. Hydroxyapatite coatings of cranio-spinal implants is the subject of the most recent research in the atempt to improve their biointegration. The present project aims at matching the current results of the most advanced reasearch laboratories and clinics in the field of neurosurgical implantology. To achieve this goal various types of metal and polymer cranio-spinal implants (plates, screws, cages, switches) will be coated with osteoinductive HA films applied through advanced techniques such as Pulsed Laser Deposition (PLD) and Magnetron Sputtering (MS). The resulting functional implants will be characterized from the point of view of their physical and chemical properties through SEM, XRD and FTIR. To assess their biointegration properties before the clinical stage we will use osteoblast cells cultures and explants obtained from the anatomical areas targeted for implantation. The biological response will be evaluated by studying the explants integration with the in vitro generated cell cultured surfaces. Clinical testing will be conducted for a number of carefully chosen pathology and surgical operations. Several comparative studies will be performed for various patients lots depending on the specific pathology (cranial, cervical, thoracic, lumbar) and types of implants (functionalized and non-functionalized) in order to fully assess the biointegration capability of the HA films. This project opens new possibilites to construct neurosurgical implants with superior biointegration properties that will lead to a significant improvement of the present surgical techniques and will play a major role in improving the quality of life for the targeted patients.
- to develop novel medical techniques and to improve the efficiency of the public health system;
- to develop new bio-materials, products, and production routines with a high collateral value.
- bone-integrating coatings on large surfaces of metal (titanium, stainless steel) and PMMA;
- functional coatings with adhesion buffer layer onto metallic implants (adherence of 90 MPa on metal, compared with 20-30 MPa values generally recorder for plasma spray coatings);
- in vitro studies (cellular cultures and explants) to assess the toxicity and bone-integration capability of HA coatings;
- to perfect surgical procedures/techniques for comparative clinical testing of functional implants versus classical, uncoated implants;
- to study the effect of coating the titanium, stainless steel, and PMMA implants with a biocompatible layers of HA on the implant osteintegration on short-, medium-, and long-term.
|Name SURNAME||PROJECT POSITION||TASKS|
|Constantin MOROSANU||Project responsible|
|George STAN||Project responsible|
|Iuliana PASUK||Team member|
|Cristian TEODORESCU||Team member|
|Mihai POPESCU||Team member|
|Ionut ENCULESCU||Team member|
|Mihai VLAICU||Team member|
|Tionica STOICA||Team member|
|Carmen PLAPCIANU||Team member|
|Dan MARCOV||Team member|
|Cristina BESLEAGA||Team member|
|Catalin RADULESCU||Team member|
|Petre COSMA||Team member|
Web of Science® articles:
- 01. G.E. Stan*,^, C.O. Morosanu^, D.A. Marcov^, I. Pasuk^, F. Miculescu, G. Reumont, Effect of annealing upon the structure and adhesion properties of sputtered bio-glass/titanium coatings, APPL SURF SCI 255 (2009) 9132–9138; doi: 10.1016/j.apsusc.2009.06.117.
- 02. G.E. Stan*,^, Adherent functional graded hydroxylapatite coatings produced by sputtering deposition techniques, J OPTOELECTRON ADV M 11 (2009) 1132–1138; http://joam.inoe.ro/index.php?option=magazine&op=view&idu=2011&catid=41
- 03. G.E. Stan*,^, S. Pina, D.U. Tulyaganov, J.M.F. Ferreira, I. Pasuk^, C.O. Morosanu^, Biomineralization capability of adherent bio-glass films prepared by magnetron sputtering, J MATER SCI-MATER M 21 (2010) 1047–1055; doi: 10.1007/s10856-009-3940-9.
- 04. G. Socol, A.M. Macovei, F. Miroiu, N. Stefan, L. Duta, G. Dorcioman, I.N. Mihailescu*, S.M. Petrescu, G.E. Stan^, D.A. Marcov^, A. Chiriac, I. Poeata, Hydroxyapatite thin films synthesized by pulsed laser deposition and magnetron sputtering on PMMA substrates for medical applications, MATER SCI ENG B-ADV 169 (2010) 159–168; doi: 10.1016/j.mseb.2010.01.011.
- 05. C. Berbecaru*, H.V. Alexandru, G.E. Stan^, D.A. Marcov^, I. Pasuk^, A. Ianculescu, First stages of bioactivity of glass-ceramics thin films prepared by magnetron sputtering technique, MATER SCI ENG B-ADV 169 (2010) 101–105; doi: 10.1016/j.mseb.2010.01.007.
- 06. G.E. Stan*,^, D.A. Marcov^, I. Pasuk^, F. Miculescu, S. Pina, D.U. Tulyaganov, J.M.F. Ferreira, Bioactive glass thin films deposited by magnetron sputtering technique: The role of working pressure, APPL SURF SCI 256 (2010) 7102–7110; doi: 10.1016/j.apsusc.2010.05.035.
- 07. G.E. Stan*,^, A.C. Popescu, I.N. Mihailescu, D.A. Marcov, R.C. Mustata, L.E. Sima, S.M. Petrescu, A. Ianculescu, R. Trusca, C.O. Morosanu^, On the bioactivity of adherent bioglass thin films synthesized by magnetron sputtering techniques, THIN SOLID FILMS 518 (2010) 5955–5964; doi: 10.1016/j.tsf.2010.05.104.
- 08. L.E. Sima, G.E. Stan^, C.O. Morosanu^, A. Melinescu, A. Ianculescu, R. Melinte, J. Neamtu, S.M. Petrescu*, Differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells onto highly adherent RF sputtered carbonated hydroxylapatite thin films, J BIOMED MATER RES A 95 (2010) 1203–1214; doi: 10.1002/jbm.a.32947.
- 09. L. Duta*, G. Socol, F. Sima, I.N. Mihailescu, G.E. Stan^, D.A. Marcov^, L.E. Sima, S.M. Petrescu, A. Melinescu, A. Ianculescu, A. Chiriac, I. Poeata, Increased bioactivity of cranio-spinal implants functionalized with hydroxyapatite nanostructured coatings: morpho-structural characterization and in-vitro evaluation, IEEE, ISBN: 978-1-4244-8842-1, Advanced Technologies for Enhancing Quality of Life (AT-EQUAL) Conference, Iasi, (IEEE, 2010), pp. 127–130, 2010; doi: 10.1109/ATEQUAL.2010.27.
- 10. A. Chiriac, G.E. Stan*,^, B. Iliescu, I. Poeata, The influence of host bone substrate in titanium mesh cranioplasty, DIG J NANOMATER BIOSTRUCT 8 (2013) 729–735; http://www.chalcogen.infim.ro/729_Chiriac.pdf.
01. A. Chiriac, L. Duta, A. Ianculescu, I.N. Mihailescu, M. Miroiu, S. Petrescu, A. Popescu, I. Poeata, F. Sima, G. Socol, G.E. Stan^; Ti mesh implants biofunctionalized with hydroxyapatite nanostructured thin layers for cranioplasty; OSIM patent, RO 128190 B1, awarded 2014-04-30.
^project team member
GEORGE E. STAN, PhD in Materials Engineering
Senior Researcher I
Telephone: +40-(0)21-2418 128 or +40-(0)21-2418 153
Department: Laboratory of Multifunctional Materials and Structures
PROJECTS/ NATIONAL PROJECTS
Copyright © 2023 National Institute of Materials Physics. All Rights Reserved