Efficiency enhancement of thin films solar cells via CdS replacement and CZTSSe layer engineering (EECSC-23)
Project Director: Dr. Mohamed Yassine ZAKI
Project code: PN-III-P1-1.1-PD-2021-0240
Project Director: Dr. Mohamed Yassine Zaki
Project advice: National
Framework program of the project: P1 - Development of the national CD system - Human resources - Postdoctoral research projects (PD)
Funded by: Executive Unit for the Financing of Higher Education, Research, Development and Innovation, UEFISCDI
Contractor: National Institute og Materials Physics
Start date: 01.04.2022
Closing date: 31.03.2024
Kesterite Cu2ZnSn(S,Se)4 (CZTSSe) based solar cells have attracted a lot of interest lately due to their promising potential and similar properties to the better known Cu(In,Ga)Se2 (CIGS) and CdTe photovoltaic devices. However, these materials suffer from the omnipresence of several secondary phases that influence their performances. The champion device has a 12.6% power conversion efficiency, which is still much lower than its counterpart CIGS. The objective of this project is the enhancement of the efficiency of CZTSSe thin films solar cells via PN junction layers engineering. The CZTSSe p-type absorber layers will be deposited using a two-steps magnetron sputtering deposition followed by a sulfurization/selenization in order to avoid the secondary phases and obtain stoichiometric films. Cadmium sulfide (CdS) is commonly used as a n-type layer for kesterite solar cells, but owing to Cd toxicity, ZnS or ZnSe materials are proposed here. Tuning the band alignment at the interface between the p-type and n-type layers will be done by varying the thickness and band gap of the buffer layer in order to achieve high efficiency CZTSSe solar cells. The findings of this project will be useful to understand the relation between the synthesis conditions, composition and the formation of secondary phases. This will guide the design of new ecological solar cells with an improved efficiency that can reach the commercial panels requirements.
- Synthesis of pure and highly crystalline CZTSSe thin films with the adequate stoichiometry and no secondary phases.
- Substitute the usual toxic buffer layer material (CdS) with a eco-friendly compound (ZnS/ZnSe).
- Fabrication of high efficiency solar cells using the elaborated CZTSSe absorber and ZnS/ZnSe buffer layers.
- Recipe development of CZTSSe thin films without secondary phases.
- Investigating the use of ZnS and ZnSe buffer layers in kesterite solar devices.
- Finding solutions for PCE enhancement of the CZTSSe-based solar cells;
- Publication of two ISI articles.
Project Director: Dr. Mohamed Yassine Zaki (U-2000-066W-2802)
Project Mentor: Dr. Lucian Pintilie
Stage I summary:
The PN-III-P1-1.1-PD-2021-0240 project (contract no. PD 41) is dedicated to the realization of solar cells based on CZTSSe using a Cd-free buffer layer. Stage I of PN-III-P1-1.1-PD-2021-0240 (2021.04.01 - 2021.12.31) aims objectives are: (1) Understanding the fundamental reasons for the coexistence of the secondary phases and proposing solutions to avoid them, and also find answers to stoichiometry problems (2) Synthesis of single-phase and stoichiometric CZTSSe absorbing layers and (3) Structural, morphological, optical, compositional and electrical characterization of the obtained CZTSSe films.
1 oral presentation at Advanced Functional Materials for Optical, Laser and Photovoltaic Applications, Kenitra, Morocco;
1 Summer School Participation (invited) at the PaNOSC Summer School - Materials Science at Large Scale European Infrastructures Using Open and Fair Data, Szeged, Hungary;
3 articles published in journals indexed in Web of Science®, with impact factor.
The scientific report cannot yet be disclosed on the project website, the results being published, but it can be accessed on request at UEFISCDI.
2022: SYNTHETIC SCIENTIFIC REPORT no. 1 in .pdf format is available at UEFISCDI and can be accessed upon request.
Articole publicate in jurnale cotate Web of Science®:
1. M.Y. Zaki, F. Sava, I.D. Simandan, A.T. Buruiana, C. Mihai, A. Velea, A.C. Galca, Effect of the stacking order, annealing temperature and atmosphere on crystal phase and optical properties of Cu2SnS3, Sci. Rep. 12 (2022) 7958. 10.1038/s41598-022-12045-3
2. M.Y. Zaki, F. Sava, I.D. Simandan, A.T. Buruiana, I. Stavarache, A.E. Bocirnea, C. Mihai, A. Velea, A.C. Galca, A two-step magnetron sputtering approach for the synthesis of Cu2ZnSnS4 films from Cu2SnS3\ZnS stacks, ACS Omega 7 (2022) 23800–23814. 10.1021/acsomega.2c02475
3. M.Y. Zaki, F. Sava, I.D. Simandan, A.T. Buruiana, C. Mihai, A. Velea, A.C. Galca, Cu2SnSe3 phase formation from different metallic and binary chalcogenides stacks using magnetron sputtering, Mater. Sci. Semicond. 153 (2023) 107195. 10.1016/j.mssp.2022.107195
Dr. Mohamed Yassine Zaki
National Institute of Materials Physics
Laboratory of Complex Heterostructures and Multifunctional Materials
405A Atomistilor street
077125, Magurele, Romania
Copyright © 2023 National Institute of Materials Physics. All Rights Reserved