1984: Baccalaureate, “Gheorghe Lazăr” High-school Bucharest, 10/10.
1990: M. Sc. (Engineer), University of Bucharest (Romania), Department of Applied Physics, 9.87/10.
Dissertation title: Geometric effects and measurement methods of galvanomagnetic effects on circular samples, advisor Dr. Bogdan Logofătu, presented also at the CAS’90 International Semiconductor Conference, Sinaia, 1990.
1995: Ph. D, Université Paris Sud Orsay (France), Chemical Physics, “très honorable”.
Thesis title: Study of evolution of inner-shell excitations from free atmoms to solids. X-ray photoabsorption of metal and insulating clusters, advisor Dr. Jean-Marc Esteva, 6 papers resulting (J. Phys. B 1993 and 1997, Nucl. Instrum. Meth. Phys. Res. A 1994, J. Electr. Spectrosc. Relat. Phenom. 1999 and 2000, Phys. Rev. B 2001, main author for all these papers)
2015: Habilitation in Physics, University of Bucharest, Faculty of Physics.
Habilitation thesis title: Ferromagnetic and ferroelectric surfaces and interfaces.
1990–1991: Physicist, Institute of Physics and Technology of Materials, Bucharest-Magurele PO Box MG7, 76900, Romania.
1991–1995: Ph.D student, Laboratoire de Spectroscopie Atomique et Ionique, Bât. 350, Université Paris Sud, 91405 Orsay, France.
1995–1996: post-doctoral scientist, LURE, Bât. 209d, Centre Universitaire Paris Sud, BP 34, 91898 Orsay, France.
1996–1998: research scientist, Universität Osnabrück, Barbarastr. 7, 49069 Osnabrück, Germany.
1999–2001: beamline scientist, LURE, Bât. 209d, Centre Universitaire Paris Sud, BP 34, 91898 Orsay, France.
2001–2005: senior scientist III, National Institute of Material Physics (NIMP), Atomiștilor 405A, 077125 Măgurele–Ilfov, Romania.
2001–2002 : postdoctoral fellowship, Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington Cheshire, WA4 4AD, U.K.
2005–2009: senior scientist II, NIMP.
2009–to date: senior scientist I, NIMP.
2010–2011: Department head, Nanoscale Condensed Matter Physics, NIMP Bucharest (35–40 people).
2011– to date: Group leader, Surfaces and Interfaces, NIMP Bucharest (29 people).
2015– to date: Professor, PhD Advisor, University of Bucharest, Faculty of Physics, Atomiștilor 405, 077125 Măgurele–Ilfov, Romania (8 PhD students, of which 3 graduated).
2018 – to date: President of the Scientific Council of NIMP.
• Third prize, International Physics Olympiad, Sigtuna, Sweden, 1984.
• “Radu Grigorovici” Prize of the Romanian Academy, awarded in 2015 for results obtained in 2013.
Keywords : synchrotron radiation, surface science, clusters and nanoparticles, reactivity, structure, ferroelectrics, magnetism, photocatalysis, catalysis, graphene.
• Photoelectron spectroscopy (PES): X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS) or electronic structure for chemical analysis (ESCA), core-level and valence-band PES, photoelectron diffraction (PED), Fermi surface mapping, angle-resolved PES, angle-resolved ultraviolet photoelectron spectroscopy (ARUPS), spin-resolved PES.
• Surface science techniques: low energy electron diffraction (LEED), reflection high energy electron diffraction (RHEED), Auger electron spectroscopy, secondary ion mass spectroscopy (SIMS), sample preparations in UHV, molecular beam epitaxy (MBE), positron annihilation-induced Auger electron spectroscopy (PAES).
• Photoelectron spectromicroscopy, low energy electron microscopy (LEEM), photoelectron microscopy (PEEM), NanoESCA.
• X-ray absorption: extended X-ray absrption fine structure (EXAFS), X-ray absorption near-edge structure (XANES), near-edge absorption fine structure (NEXAFS), X-ray absorption spectroscopy (XAS), X-ray fluorescence.
• Scanning tunneling microscopy / spectroscopy (STM/STS).
• Coincidence spectroscopy: photoelectron-photoion-photoion coincidences (PEPIPICO), zero electron kinetic energy (ZEKE) spectroscopy, threshold electron spectroscopy.
• Magnetism: magneto-optical Kerr effect (MOKE), vibrating sample magnetometry (VSM), superconducting quantum interference device (SQUID), X-ray magnetic (circular, linear) dichroism (XMCD, XMLD).
• X-ray diffraction.
• Development of various devices apparatuses for UHV, surface science, low temperatures, cluster production and analysis.
• Leader of R&D projects of about 7.5 M€ (2004–2019), including a PCCE project (2010–2013) of about 1.6 M€ and a PCCDI project (2018–2020) of about 1.1 M€.
• Director of an infrastructure project (POS-CCE SMIS 2665, 2009–2011) of about 10.5 M€. Setup of four surface science laboratories. Deputee Director of a second infrastructure project (2014–2015) of similar worth.
• Author and co-author of 147 papers in ISI journals, about 20 papers published in journals with high impact factor (over 5), over 2700 citations, over 1800 citations without self-citations, h-index 27 (Web of Science) or 32 (Google Scholar), 7 book chapters.
• Editorial Boards: Open Physics (De Gruyter), Physics (MDPI), Journal of Optoelectronics and Advanced Materials, Optoelectronics and Advanced Materials – Rapid Communications, Digest Journal of Nanomaterials and Biostructures.
• 1 national (RO) patent awarded, 6 patent applications in various stages of evaluation.
1. Technologic paradigms in synthesis and characterization of variable dimensionality systems
1. Degenerated TiO(2)Semiconductor Modified with Ni and Zn as Efficient Photocatalysts for the Water Splitting Reaction
Published: SEP 17 2020, DOI: 10.1002/cctc.202000691
2. The interplay of work function and polarization state at the Schottky barriers height for Cu/BaTiO3 interface
Published: FEB 1 2020, DOI: 10.1016/j.apsusc.2019.144101
3. Resistance hysteresis correlated with synchrotron radiation surface studies in atomic sp(2) layers of carbon synthesized on ferroelectric (001) lead zirconate titanate in an ultrahigh vacuum
Published: JAN 8 2020, DOI: 10.1039/c9ra09131a
4. Impact on Ferroelectricity and Band Alignment of Gradually Grown Au on BaTiO3
Published: JUL 2019, DOI: 10.1002/pssr.201900077
5. Growth of Ag(111) on Si(111) with nearly flat band and abrupt interface
Published: APR 15 2019, DOI: 10.1016/j.apsusc.2018.12.167
6. Spirobifluorene-based Porous Organic Polymers as Efficient Porous Supports for Pd and Pt for Selective Hydrogenation
Published: JAN 9 2019, DOI: 10.1002/cctc.201801247
7. Room temperature ferromagnetism and its correlation to ferroelectricity of manganese embedded in lead zirco-titanate
Published: JAN 1 2019, DOI: 10.1016/j.tsf.2018.11.018
8. Polarization Orientation in Lead Zirconate Titanate (001) Thin Films Driven by the Interface with the Substrate
Published: SEP 11 2018, DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevApplied.10.034020
9. Triggering surface ferroelectric order in Pb(Zr, Ti)O-3(001) by deposition of platinum
Published: FEB 28 2018, DOI: 10.1016/j.apsusc.2017.04.238
10. Long-range magnetic interaction in MnxGe1-x: structural, spectromicroscopic and magnetic investigations
Published: MAR 2017, DOI: 10.1007/s10853-016-0618-9
11. Photoelectron Spectroscopic and Microspectroscopic Probes of Ferroelectrics
Published: 2017, DOI: 10.1063/1.5017434
12. Structural and magnetic properties of Ni nanofilms on Ge(001) by molecular beam epitaxy
Published: DEC 1 2017, DOI: 10.1016/j.apsusc.2017.03.034
13. Band bending at magnetic Ni/Ge(001) interface investigated by X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy
Published: DEC 1 2017, DOI: 10.1016/j.apsusc.2017.04.168
14. Aging phenomena and wettability control of plasma deposited carbon nanowall layers
Published: NOV 2017, DOI: 10.1002/ppap.201700023
15. Low-energy electron diffraction from ferroelectric surfaces: Dead layers and surface dipoles in clean Pb(Zr, Ti)O-3(001)
Published: SEP 19 2017, DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevB.96.115438
16. Oxygenophilic ionic liquids promote the oxygen reduction reaction in Pt-free carbon electrocatalysts
Published: SEP 1 2017, DOI: 10.1039/c7mh00298j
17. Polarization landscape effects in soft X-ray-induced surface chemical decomposition of lead zirco-titanate, evidenced by photoelectron spectromicroscopy
Published: AUG 21 2017, DOI: 10.1039/c7nr03003g
18. Sustainable metal-free carbogels as oxygen reduction electrocatalysts
Published: AUG 21 2017, DOI: 10.1039/c7ta02001e
19. The combined action of methanolysis and heterogeneous photocatalysis in the decomposition of chemical warfare agents
Published: 2016, DOI: 10.1039/c6cc07551g
20. Local Ordering at the Interface of the TiO2-WO3 Bi-Layers
Published: 2016, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-30198-3_10
21. An adamantane-based COF: stability, adsorption capability, and behaviour as a catalyst and support for Pd and Au for the hydrogenation of nitrostyrene
Published: 2016, DOI: 10.1039/c6cy01631f
22. Non-interacting, sp(2) carbon on a ferroelectric lead zirco-titanate: towards graphene synthesis on ferroelectrics in ultrahigh vacuum
Published: 2016, DOI: 10.1039/c6ra12910b
23. Growth mechanisms and band bending in Cu and Pt on Ge(001) investigated by LEED and photoelectron spectroscopy
Published: NOV 2016, DOI: 10.1016/j.susc.2016.06.006
24. Ferroelectric triggering of carbon monoxide adsorption on lead zirco-titanate (001) surfaces
Published: OCT 14 2016, DOI: 10.1038/srep35301
25. Magnetic Nanoparticles for Hepatocellular Carcinoma Diagnosis and Therapy
Published: SEP 2016, DOI: 10.15403/j.gld.2014.1121.253.nan
26. An adamantane-based COF: stability, adsorption capability, and behaviour as a catalyst and support for Pd and Au for the hydrogenation of nitrostyrene (vol 6, pg 8344, 2016)
Published: 2016, DOI: 10.1039/c6cy90113a
27. Band bending at copper and gold interfaces with ferroelectric Pb(Zr,Ti)O-3 investigated by photoelectron spectroscopy
Published: NOV 1 2015, DOI: 10.1016/j.apsusc.2015.02.167
28. Photoelectron spectroscopy and spectro-microscopy of Pb(Zr,Ti)O-3 (111) thin layers: Imaging ferroelectric domains with binding energy contrast
Published: OCT 15 2015, DOI: 10.1016/j.apsusc.2015.01.153
29. Polarization induced self-doping in epitaxial Pb(Zr0.20Ti0.80)O-3 thin films
Published: OCT 8 2015, DOI: 10.1038/srep14974
30. Image molecular dipoles in surface enhanced Raman scattering
Published: 2015, DOI: 10.1039/c4cp05082g
31. Spectro-microscopic photoemission evidence of charge uncompensated areas in Pb(Zr,Ti)O-3(001) layers
Published: 2015, DOI: 10.1039/c4cp04546g
32. Schottky barrier versus surface ferroelectric depolarization at Cu/Pb(Zr, Ti)O-3 interfaces
Published: MAY 2014, DOI: 10.1007/s10853-014-8041-6
34. Polarization-Control of the Potential Barrier at the Electrode Interfaces in Epitaxial Ferroelectric Thin Films
Published: FEB 26 2014, DOI: 10.1021/am405508k
35. Surface Reactivity and Magnetism at Metal-Semiconductor Interfaces
Published: 2014, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-662-44479-5_8
36. Selective adsorption of contaminants on Pb(Zr,Ti)O-3 surfaces shown by X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy
Published: 2014, DOI: 10.1039/c4ta02660h
37. Gold nano-island arrays on silicon as SERS active substrate for organic molecule detection
Published: JAN 1 2014, DOI: 10.1016/j.tsf.2013.10.151
38. Room Temperature Ferromagnetic Mn:Ge(001)
Published: JAN 2014, DOI: 10.3390/ma7010106
39. X-ray photoelectron diffraction study of relaxation and rumpling of ferroelectric domains in BaTiO3(001)
Published: MAY 28 2013, DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevB.87.184116
40. Charge transfer and band bending at Au/Pb(Zr0.2Ti0.8)O-3 interfaces investigated by photoelectron spectroscopy
Published: MAY 15 2013, DOI: 10.1016/j.apsusc.2013.02.056
41. Enhancing Oxidative Dehydrogenation Selectivity of Ceria-Based Catalysts with Phosphorus as Additive
Published: MAR 2013, DOI: 10.1002/cctc.201200699
42. Structure, reactivity, electronic configuration and magnetism of samarium atomic layers deposited on Si(001) by molecular beam epitaxy
Published: FEB 15 2013, DOI: 10.1016/j.apsusc.2012.08.016
43. Room Temperature Ferromagnetic, Anisotropic, Germanium Rich FeGe(001) Alloys
Published: FEB 2013, DOI: 10.3390/ma6020612
44. A new green, ascorbic acid-assisted method for versatile synthesis of Au-graphene hybrids as efficient surface-enhanced Raman scattering platforms
Published: 2013, DOI: 10.1039/c3tc30177j
46. Phenylboronic-Acid-Modified Nanoparticles: Potential Antiviral Therapeutics
Published: DEC 11 2013, DOI: 10.1021/am403770q
47. Band bending at free Pb(Zr,Ti)O-3 surfaces analyzed spectroscopy by X-ray photoelectron
Published: NOV 20 2013, DOI: 10.1016/j.mseb.2013.02.007
48. Band bending in Au/Pb(Zr,Ti)O-3 investigated by X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy: Dependence on the initial state of the film
Published: OCT 31 2013, DOI: 10.1016/j.tsf.2013.04.092
49. Riboflavin enhanced fluorescence of highly reduced graphene oxide
Published: OCT 24 2013, DOI: 10.1016/j.cplett.2013.09.032
51. Interface charge transfer in polypyrrole coated perovskite manganite magnetic nanoparticles
Published: FEB 15 2012, DOI: 10.1063/1.3686662
52. Atomic structure and reactivity of ferromagnetic Fe deposited on Si(001)
Published: FEB 2012, DOI: 10.1007/s10853-011-5963-0
53. Interface characterization and atomic intermixing processes in Be/W bilayers deposited on Si(001) substrates with Fe buffer layers
Published: JAN 25 2012, DOI: 10.1016/j.jallcom.2011.09.063
58. Epitaxial ferromagnetic samarium and samarium silicide synthesized on Si(001)
Published: OCT 2012, DOI: 10.1007/s10853-012-6672-z
59. Matrix assisted pulsed laser evaporation of Mn-12(Propionate) thin films
Published: SEP 15 2012, DOI: 10.1016/j.apsusc.2011.10.136
60. The Meyer-Neldel rule in amorphous TiO2 films with different Fe content
Published: SEP 2012, DOI: 10.1557/jmr.2012.193
61. X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy of pulsed laser deposited Pb(Zr,Ti)O3-delta
Published: JUN 2012, DOI: 10.1002/pssa.201127740
62. Structural investigations of Ge nanoparticles embedded in an amorphous SiO2 matrix
Published: JAN 2011, DOI: 10.1007/s11051-010-0021-4
63. Surface versus volume effects in luminescent ceria nanocrystals synthesized by an oil-in-water microemulsion method
Published: 2011, DOI: 10.1039/c1cp21135h
64. X-ray absorption fine structure investigations on heat-treated Cr-doped titania thin films
Published: DEC 1 2011, DOI: 10.1016/j.tsf.2011.04.124
65. Significantly different contamination of atomically clean Si(001) when investigated by XPS and AES
Published: AUG 2011, DOI: 10.1002/pssb.201147220
67. Nanostructured thin layers of vanadium oxides doped with cobalt, prepared by pulsed laser ablation: chemistry, local atomic structure, morphology and magnetism
Published: 2010, DOI: 10.1080/17458081003671675
68. Novel Pd heterogeneous catalysts for cycloisomerisation of acetylenic carboxylic acids
Published: DEC 2010, DOI: 10.1039/c0gc00258e
69. Cobalt-doped ZnO prepared by electrochemistry: Chemistry, morphology, and magnetism
Published: NOV 2010, DOI: 10.1002/pssa.200925378
71. New analytical approximation of diffraction size broadened peak profile for spherical crystallites with a lognormal distribution
Published: OCT 2010, DOI: 10.1107/S0021889810024829
72. Chemical Imaging of Catalyst Deactivation during the Conversion of Renewables at the Single Particle Level: Etherification of Biomass-Based Polyols with Alkenes over H-Beta Zeolites
Published: AUG 4 2010, DOI: 10.1021/ja102566b
73. Analysis of electron traps at the 4H-SiC/SiO2 interface; influence by nitrogen implantation prior to wet oxidation
Published: JUL 15 2010, DOI: 10.1063/1.3457906
74. Mesoporous Tin-Triflate Based Catalysts for Transesterification of Sunflower Oil
Published: JUL 2010, DOI: 10.1007/s11244-010-9468-x
76. One-Pot Synthesis of Menthol Catalyzed by a Highly Diastereoselective Au/MgF2 Catalyst
Published: 2010, DOI: 10.1002/anie.201002090
77. Photo-degradation activity of sputter-deposited nitrogen-doped titania thin films
Published: DEC 15 2009, DOI: 10.1016/j.tsf.2009.05.068
78. Fe- and Eu-doped TiO2 Photocatalytical Materials Prepared by High Energy Ball Milling
Published: JUN 2009, DOI: 10.1007/s11244-009-9192-6
80. Synthesis, structural characterization, and photocatalytic properties of iron-doped TiO2 aerogels
Published: JAN 2009, DOI: 10.1007/s10853-008-3147-3
81. EXAFS investigation of iron local environment in metal-doped titania photocatalysts prepared by hydrothermal and high-energy ball milling routes
Published: JAN 2009, DOI: 10.1007/s10854-007-9541-9
90. Structural and photocatalytic properties of iron- and europium-doped TiO2 nanoparticles obtained under hydrothermal conditions
Published: NOV 15 2008, DOI: 10.1016/j.matchemphys.2008.05.023
91. Preparation and characterization of increased-efficiency photocatalytic TiO2-2xNx thin films
Published: OCT 15 2007, DOI: 10.1016/j.tsf.2007.03.115
92. Low temperature two-dimensional behaviour of spin and orbital moments in Ni monolayers grown on Cu(001)
Published: SEP 15 2007, DOI: 10.1016/j.susc.2007.04.233
93. Structure, morphology and magnetic properties of Fe-Au core-shell nanoparticles
Published: SEP 15 2007, DOI: 10.1016/j.susc.2007.06.024
94. Fe-doped TiO2 thin films
Published: SEP 15 2007, DOI: 10.1016/j.susc.2007.04.139
95. On the hydrophilicity of nitrogen-doped TiO2 thin films
Published: SEP 15 2007, DOI: 10.1016/j.susc.2007.04.156
96. Comparative study of magnetism and interface composition in Fe/GaAs(100) and Fe/InAs(100)
Published: SEP 15 2006, DOI: 10.1016/j.susc.2006.01.167
97. Characterization of titania thin films prepared by reactive pulsed-laser ablation
Published: SEP 15 2006, DOI: 10.1016/j.susc.2006.01.162
98. Increasing surface hydrophilicity of titania thin films by doping
Published: JUL 15 2006, DOI: 10.1016/j.apsusc.2006.05.011
99. Thickness effect in Pb(Zr0.2Ti0.8)O-3 ferroelectric thin films grown by pulsed laser deposition
Published: APR 30 2006, DOI: 10.1016/j.apsusc.2005.07.149
102. Reactivity and magnetism of Fe/InAs(100) interfaces
Published: AUG 2002, DOI: 10.1140/epjb/e2002-00234-6
103. Reducibility of ruthenium in relation with zeolite structure
Published: MAR 1999, DOI: 10.1016/S0169-4332(98)00619-9
104. EXAFS CHARACTERIZATION OF DY AND PD-DY ON ALUMINA CATALYSTS
Published: APR 1994, DOI: 10.1007/BF02129853
Copyright © 2021 National Institute of Materials Physics. All Rights Reserved