Experimental Cluster for Surface and Interface Science
FACILITIES / STIINTA-SUPRAFETEI
- The MBE (Molecular Beam Epitaxy) Chamber;
- The STM (Scanning Tunneling Microscope) Chamber;
- The Spin- and Angle-resolved Photoelectron Spectroscopy (SARPES).
- preparation facilities:
- sample heating up to 1200 °C; cooling down to 77 K;
- evaporation from a 4-target e-beam evaporator;
- evaporation from a high temperature Knudsen cell (2000 °C);
- controlled gas adsorption and desorption;
- monitor of thicknesses using a quartz microbalance.
- in situ characterization:
- LEED (Low Energy Electron Diffraction);
- RHEED (Reflection High Energy Electron Spectroscopy);
- AES (Auger Electron Spectroscopy);
- Quadrupole Mass Spectroscopy (thermal induced desorption, photodesorption);
- sample preparation stage (heating, ion sputtering);
- tip preparation (ion sputtering);
- variable temperature (77 – 453 K) scanning tunneling microscopy (STM);
- scanning tunneling spectroscopy (STS);
- conventional X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy using a dual (Al/Mg Kα) anode;
- high resolution XPS using a monochromatized dual (Al Kα /Ag Lα) source;
- ultraviolet photoelectron spectroscopy (UPS);
- angle-resolved XPS: x-ray photoelectron diffraction (XPD);
- angle-resolved UPS (ARUPS): band structure, Fermi surface, etc.;
- spin-resolved UPS: spin-polarized density of states;
- angle- and spin-resolved UPS: spin-polarized band structure;
- programable ion sputtering: depth profiling;
- flood gun for sample neutralization;
- electron gun for AES; medium energy ion scattering spectroscopy (MEIS).The performance of the complex system described above is illustrated in Fig. 2 for high resolution photoelectron spectroscopy and in Fig. 3 for scanning tunneling microscopy with atomic resolution.
The performance of the complex system described above is illustrated in Fig. 2 for high resolution photoelectron spectroscopy and in Fig. 3 for scanning tunneling microscopy with atomic resolution.
Copyright © 2023 National Institute of Materials Physics. All Rights Reserved